From: Anna-Maria Hubert [mailto:annamaria.hub...@ucalgary.ca]
Sent: Saturday, March 9, 2019 12:13 PM
To: s.sal...@ed.ac.uk; f...@boell.de; vorst...@boell.de; i...@boell.de;
geoengineering <geoengineering@googlegroups.com>;
carbondioxideremo...@googlegroups.com; Douglas MacMartin <dgm...@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: [geo] Heinrich Boell evidence to UNEP

Greetings all

I think Lili's piece raises some important issues and I suspect that her
concerns reflect her longstanding experience working in environmental advocacy
and politics. It's important to distinguish that while SRM "ought not" stand in
as an alternative to mitigation and adaptation it does not mean that politics
will not take that trajectory in the future despite not being in accordance
with prudent scientific advice (Why are we even in this mess despite the fact
that the scientific evidence continues to pile up?). Indeed I participated in a
meeting of an international treaty body where an major oil producing state was
arguing that geoengineering should not be restricted, because such limitations
would impair their right to develop and ability exploit their sovereign
national resources in oil and gas. One should not be naive about how enticing
SRM may be to those actors who have an interest in maintaining a business as
usual scenario and the influence these actors have over climate politics.
Legally, the relationship between SRM and mitigation and adaptation is somewhat
ambiguous. Also, though more subtle, there are also "moral hazard" issues that
arise in relation to the development of CDR vis a vis more conventional
mitigation and adaptation.

All this to say that she offers a valid perspective that should be given some
weight in the discussion of the development and governance of the science.

Have a great weekend,

Anna-Maria

Anna-Maria Hubert
Assistant Professor, Faculty of Law, University of Calgary
Associate Fellow, Institute for Science, Innovation and Society (InSIS),
University of Oxford

MFH 3344, 2500 University Drive NW, Calgary, AB Canada T2N 1N4
T: 403.220.8762<tel:403.220.8762> | M: 587.586.3045<tel:587.586.3045>
annamaria.hub...@ucalgary.ca<https://mail.ucalgary.ca/owa/14.3.266.1/scripts/premium/redir.aspx?SURL=JkKyJFCGUmOHPwnojHKF8mM2XVqQBlfBA_O8D5z0lPrEMxg9MX_TCG0AYQBpAGwAdABvADoAYQBuAG4AYQBtAGEAcgBpAGEALgBoAHUAYgBlAHIAdABAAHUAYwBhAGwAZwBhAHIAeQAuAGMAYQA.&URL=mailto%3aannamaria.hubert%40ucalgary.ca>
www.law.ucalgary.ca<http://www.law.ucalgary.ca/> |
www.insis.ox.ac.uk/people/associate-fellows/anna-maria-hubert<http://www.insis.ox.ac.uk/people/associate-fellows/anna-maria-hubert>