https://rgs-ibg.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/area.12495

Geoengineering and geographers: Rewriting the Earth in what image?
Rob Bellamy James Palmer
First published: 09 September 2018
https://doi.org/10.1111/area.12495
Cited by: 1
Read the full text
About

Share on
Abstract
Large‐scale intervention in the Earth's climate system features centrally
both in definitions of, and proposed responses to, the Anthropocene. In its
deliberate guise – as climate geoengineering – such intervention is highly
contentious, threatening to profoundly reshape the geography and politics
of environmental governance frameworks, not to mention the nature of the
environments towards which those frameworks are oriented. Yet, even as
experiments with geoengineering technologies are growing in number,
geographers continue to engage seldom with scientific, political or indeed
public debates about them. In this paper we contend that geographical ideas
about space, scale, power and geopolitics must urgently be brought to bear
on ongoing efforts to experiment with geoengineering, and to deliberate its
future role in responses to climate change. We develop this argument in two
parts. First, we suggest that ongoing debates about the acceptability of
geoengineering experimentation would benefit from recognising incumbent
spatial and scalar categorisations (e.g., small scale vs. large scale,
indoors vs. outdoors) not as fixed ontological anchors, but as relational
and provisional constructs, open to being rethought in new, potentially
productive ways. Second, we call for geographers to document and contest
inequalities and injustices, both in debates about what geoengineering is
or might become, and in the outcomes generated by efforts to undertake
geoengineering in practice. Here there are opportunities for geographers to
reshape the frames of reference used by others to comprehend the
implications of the Anthropocene itself, drawing on traditional
disciplinary strengths in ecofeminism, political ecology and environmental
justice, as well as the production of space and critical geopolitics. Such
endeavours, we contend, will form a vital complement to existing
geographical engagements with the concept of the Anthropocene, reaffirming
the value of the discipline's distinctive – and explicitly normative –
voice within ongoing policy and public deliberations.