Pawel and David, with ccs to two discussion lists

        RWL:  I have done a bit more research on your backgrounds - and applaud
what you are doing.  Others might want to read more at

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/05/this-is-what-a-green-new-deal-for-europe-could-look-like/

<https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/05/this-is-what-a-green-new-deal-for-europe-could-look-like/>

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2019/06/green-new-deal-europe-capitalism
<https://www.jacobinmag.com/2019/06/green-new-deal-europe-capitalism>

See more below

> On Sep 28, 2019, at 10:19 AM, Pawel Wargan <pawel.war...@gndforeurope.com>
> wrote:
>
> Ronal,
>
> Thank you so much for this invaluable feedback and please accept my apologies
> for taking so long to reply.
>
> Just for clarification, our position on geoengineering is based on a few
> points that are core to our campaign — and to much of the climate movement.
        [RWLa:   For the last several years, the word “Geoengineering” has been
disassociated from biochar - my only topic.  I urge being very careful with use
of the word “Geoengineering” - which today is almost solely reserved for SRM =
solar radiation management..

> The most crucial is the need to achieve climate justice — this means finding
> solutions that do not contribute to the continued exploitation of land and
> people around the globe. That excludes CCS.
        [RWL1:   I totally agree with the first sentence - and claim that
biochar benefits, not exploits, land and people.

                I do not understand your reference to CCS -which has only a
vague relationship to biochar.   I agree that BECCS (which is much like “clean
coal”) is very different from biochar.   Biochar is today mostly being advanced
for soil improvement reasons - not for CDR reasons (which are still valid).
And generally is being sold with expectation of positive returns  - not costs.

> Second, all of the key scientific models informing political decisions today
> assume continued economic growth. Our paper is grounded in post-growth
> principles, which call for a reduction in material throughput and energy
> demand. This should reduce the need for geoengineering solutions.
        [RWL2:  This second point also has no relation to biochar.  Biochar is
unique in being able to support non-dispatchable wind and solar systems - which
I presume you favor (and are certainly key in all GND programs).  Wind, solar
and biomass (including biochar) are consistent with both reduced energy demand
and reduced fossil fuel demand..

> Third, the references in the IPCC to geoengineering (particularly BECCS
> technologies) were inserted largely by economists — historically, they, not
> the scientists, were responsible for drafting policy recommendations on
> climate. This has produced recommendations that reflect what is "politically
> achievable”, not what is scientifically necessary.
        [RWL3:   To repeat,  BECCS and biochar are very different.   My
experience is that BECCS is primarily favored by climate modelers, not
economists.  The carbon can simply disappear in a model;  with biochar, the
(positive) impacts must be considered for every out-year in the model.  The
Terra Preta soils of the Amazon are giving huge (factors of 3x - 4x) positive
benefits after thousands of years.
        I concur on “scientifically necessary”.    Not sure about your
“politically achievable” - as we are not moving at all fast enough.  For me,
biochar should lead in both categories.

> Fourth, we want to end all uses of fossil fuels — zero emissions; not
> net-zero emissions. Technologies that enable the continued extraction and
> utilisation of oil and gas therefore cannot form part of our programme.
        [RWL4:   My reading of the Green New Deal is different - that we MUST
remove atmospheric carbon - which you seem to be denying.  I see no reason to
say that biochar is designed for “continued extraction” - just the opposite
since biochar is both carbon neutral (for every energy end use - not just
electricity) and carbon negative.

> Having said that, we want to be accurate in our account of these
> technologies. In particular, we see a large role for public sector-driven R&D
> in climate and environmental mitigation tools and strategies — and tools like
> biochar could form part of that.
        [RWL5:  Thank you for the new last clause re biochar.   But we must do
much more than R&D.  The September technical paper listing publication from the
International Biochar Initiative (IBI) has 250 papers - for just one month.
There are hundreds of companies selling biochar products.   We need to think
beyond R&D - and that is the exciting aspect of the GND. (And Greta Thunberg).
 IBI literature of all kinds is at www.biochar-international.org

> Do you have any academic papers on the topic that you could share, beyond the
> one by Zimmerman, Gao, and Ahn?
        [RWL6:  My google scholar search for papers after the one I mentioned
gave this (available on Research Gate)
as the first (maybe because it had several thousand subsequent cites).  I have
a very high regard for Professor Lehmann’s work.
"Biochar effects on soil biota–a review
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0038071711001805>”. J
Lehmann <https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=DbRhb7UAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=sra>,
MC Rillig
<https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=2QVHtgUAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=sra>, J Thies
<https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=SZAJzysAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=sra>, CA
Masiello <https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=1GGkVIQAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=sra>
    There are several pages on this “priming” issue at section 3.3.2 at page
1822 - also NOT showing concern.

        [RWL7:   Thanks for the response.  I hope you better understand biochar
a bit.  Disparaging it will greatly slow down your commendable efforts with the
GND.  I’d be glad to comment on any revisions you make.

Ron