Contesting the climate Bas/Mahajan https://t.co/Z6zRIHjUFQ

Scientists predict higher global temperatures over this century. While this
may benefit some countries, most will face varying degrees of damage. This
has motivated research on solar geoengineering, a technology that allows
countries to unilaterally and temporarily lower global temperatures. To
better understand the security implications of this technology, we develop
a simple theory that incorporates solar geoengineering,
countergeoengineering to reverse its effects, and the use of military force
to prevent others from modifying temperatures. We find that when countries’
temperature preferences diverge, applications of geoengineering and
countergeoengineering can be highly wasteful due to deployment in opposite
directions. Under certain conditions, countries may prefer military
interventions over peaceful ones. Cooperation that avoids costs or waste of
resources can emerge in repeated settings, but difficulties in monitoring
or attributing interventions make such arrangements less attractive.