https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1029/2021JD035379

Climate response to latitudinal and altitudinal distribution of
stratospheric sulfate aerosols

Mengying Zhao, Long Cao, Govindasamy Bala, Lei Duan

Abstract

Stratospheric aerosol injection is one of the most widely studied solar
radiation modification methods to reduce some effects of anthropogenic
warming. We perform idealized simulations to analyze climate response to
different latitudinal and altitudinal distributions of additional
stratospheric sulfate aerosols. We analyze climate response to both large
volcanic-size aerosols that are representative of sulfate aerosols which
form when SO2 is injected into the stratosphere by major volcanic eruptions
or by proposed stratospheric sulfate aerosol geoengineering option, and
small background-size aerosols which are present in the stratosphere during
quiescent periods with no major volcanic eruptions. Our simulations show
that under the climate state with doubled atmospheric CO2, for the same
total mass, independent of size-distributions, aerosols concentrated at
higher latitudes produce less negative effective radiative forcing but
larger surface cooling as a result of larger forcing efficacy. For the same
latitudinal distribution, small background-size aerosols added at lower
altitudes cause larger surface cooling as a result of hygroscopic growth
that increases scattering of sunlight. In contrast, large volcanic-size
aerosols added at lower altitudes cause smaller surface cooling than at
higher altitudes as a result of enhanced stratospheric heating and
associated water vapor feedback that enhance absorption of solar and
terrestrial radiation. For both background-size and volcanic-size aerosols,
asymmetric distributions about the equator induce substantial
cross-equatorial energy transport, causing the Intertropical Convergence
Zone to move to the warmer hemisphere with less aerosol loading. Our study
helps to understand the climate consequences of different spatial patterns
and size distributions of stratospheric aerosol perturbation.