https://wires.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/wcc.754

Solar geoengineering: The case for an international non-use agreement

Frank Biermann, Jeroen Oomen, Aarti Gupta, Saleem H. Ali, Ken Conca,
Maarten A. Hajer, Prakash Kashwan, Louis J. Kotzé, Melissa Leach, Dirk
Messner, Chukwumerije Okereke, Åsa Persson, Janez Potočnik, David
Schlosberg, Michelle Scobie, Stacy D. VanDeveer

Abstract

Solar geoengineering is gaining prominence in climate change debates as an
issue worth studying; for some it is even a potential future policy option.
We argue here against this increasing normalization of solar geoengineering
as a speculative part of the climate policy portfolio. We contend, in
particular, that solar geoengineering at planetary scale is not governable
in a globally inclusive and just manner within the current international
political system. We therefore call upon governments and the United Nations
to take immediate and effective political control over the development of
solar geoengineering technologies. Specifically, we advocate for an
International Non-Use Agreement on Solar Geoengineering and outline the
core elements of this proposal.