Hi All

Ye gives welcome and rare support for work on marine cloud brightening but it
is not quite accurate to say ‘real-time hurricane management’. If you want to
moderate a hurricane tomorrow you are much too late.  You should have started
last November and recorded the trajectory of sea surface temperatures along the
path of the hurricane breeding oceans so as to get the pattern requested by
Governments of hurricane affect countries in the spraying contract. You should
aim to get this done by the start of the next hurricane season. Tropical storms
provide useful rainfall so we should moderate rather than prevent. It would
also be wise to avoid blame for the choice of temperature!
Ye is quite right to identify spray generation as a key problem.  Andreas
Tsiamis has done a useful COMSOL multi-physics simulation of drop generation
using the Stevenson sandwich nozzle design. He has numbers for pressure, drop
frequency and drop diameter as a function of nozzle size. There were a small
number of coalescence events leading to double-volume drops but these were
removed with a one bar modulation at the drop frequency.  The results are in
close agreement with the paper by van Hoeve at
https://doi.org/10.1063/1.3524533. Camelia Dunare has used contact printing to
etch the sandwich nozzles down to twice the diameter we need and is confident
that the higher resolution of optical printing will get to the smaller nozzles
needed. Engineering drawings for the housing of 200 mm are complete except for
the high-frequency pressure excitation needed for mono-disperse spray and
avoidance of the Aitken mode. The remaining problem is that while silicon has
sufficient tensile stress it is also extremely notch sensitive. The
instrumentation needed to measure spray size in the laboratory is quite
expensive but we may be able to get access to the life savings of a gullible
old-age pensioner. Drawings and design calculations for much of the rest of the
vessel have reached the stage where they could go to potential sub-contractors.
Ye also mentions the intermittency of wind used for power generation.  Data
from the trade-wind regions and southern oceans are encouraging and the sea is
an excellent heat integrator.  We do not need exact day-by-day cooling.  We
want a low dose over a wide area so changes of wind direction are welcome. It
might be desirable to spray under clear skies into air masses which will later
move to regions with higher relative humidity.  Being able to choose time and
place (and stop at short notice) is welcome but cooling next week is soon
enough.
It is unfortunate that ignorance of a new field is so often used as an argument
to prevent funding of research that might remove that ignorance. Perhaps this
is the result of career anxiety by timid administrators.

Breathe safely

Stephen Salter
Emeritus Professor of Engineering Design
School of Engineering
Mayfield Road
Edinburgh EH9 3DW
0131 650 5704