I am not at all surprised by the regional bias of this magnitude in the
previous generation of models. The paper says this bias is reduced in CMIP6
models to about 10 Wm-2. These biases are related to how global models
"represent" cloud properties such as cloud liquid water, liquid cloud
fraction, and total cloud fraction which have biases of about 10-20%. I
would never expect global models with a resolution of about 100 km to
reproduce accurately these subgrid-scale variables.  GCMs were not designed
to "simulate" clouds which are "represented" through parameterizations
using various "assumptions". GCMs are designed to only simulate large-scale
(~ 1000 km) features well. Models are only our attempt to explain the real
world and no model exists today in any branch of science that can explain
everything in that branch of science.

There is nothing here to admire or find fault with modellers.  It is just
that the problem is too complex with too many degrees of freedom. In fact,
I am happy we have made unbelievable progress in the last 3-4 decades. It
is a work in progress (like modelling in any branch of science) and I do
not expect an end game anytime soon.
Cheers,
Bala

--
With Best Wishes,

G. Bala
Professor
Center for Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
Indian Institute of Science
Bangalore - 560 012
India

Tel: +91 80 2293 3428; +91 80 2293 2505