Towards photophoretically levitating macroscopic sensors in the
stratosphere

Benjamin C. Schafer1,*, Jong-hyoung Kim1, Joost J. Vlassak1, David W. Keith1

------------------------------
Abstract

Photophoretic forces could levitate thin 10 centimeter-scale structures in
Earth’s stratosphere indefinitely. We develop models of the thermal
transpiration lofting force on a bilayer sandwich structure under
stratospheric conditions driven by radiative fluxes in the thermal-infrared
and solar-band. Similar structures have been levitated in the laboratory.
Lofting is maximized when the layers are separated by an air gap equal to
the mean free path (MFP), when about half of the layers’ surface area
consists of holes with radii < MFP, and when the top layer is
solar­transmissive
and infrared-emissive while the bottom layer is solar-absorptive and
infrared­transmissive. We describe a preliminary design of a 10 cm diameter
device that combines a levitating structure made of two membranes 2 µm
apart with the support structure required for stiffness and orientation
control. We limit the design to components that could be fabricated with
available methods. Structural analysis suggests that the device would have
sufficient strength to withstand forces that might be encountered in
transport, deployment, and flight. Our models predict a payload capacity of
about 300 mg at 25 km altitude and our analysis suggests it could support
bidirectional radio communication at over 10 Mb/s and could have limited
navigational abilities. Such devices could be useful for atmospheric
science or telecommunications, and similar devices might be useful on Mars.
Structures a few times larger might have payloads of a few grams.

[PDF] Towards photophoretically levitating macroscopic sensors in the
stratosphere
<https://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar_url?url=https://arxiv.org/pdf/2209.08093&hl=en&sa=X&d=12578833674370715171&ei=IbcuY-SFLPuSy9YP1Lyz8AQ&scisig=AAGBfm082uou3-a4IpsOF9338a6ba0Sw4A&oi=scholaralrt&hist=lX_oaooAAAAJ:17077808501354873040:AAGBfm2ofC6A2OkQUXgir7XgL_UnK5AIoA&html=&pos=0&folt=art>
BC Schafer, J Kim, JJ Vlassak, DW Keith - arXiv preprint arXiv:2209.08093,
2022
Photophoretic forces could levitate thin 10 centimeter-scale structures in
Earth $'$ s
stratosphere indefinitely. We develop models of the thermal transpiration
lofting force
on a bilayer sandwich structure under stratospheric conditions driven by
radiative …
[image: Save]
<https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?hl=en&update_op=email_library_add&info=I46W0ZT-kK4J&citsig=AMD79ooAAAAAZQ_qodu6sfTWcuuaeQB8wkVEA54jkJoL>
[image:
Twitter]
<https://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar_share?hl=en&oi=scholaralrt&ss=tw&url=https://arxiv.org/pdf/2209.08093&rt=Towards+photophoretically+levitating+macroscopic+sensors+in+the+stratosphere&scisig=AAGBfm3cOHkKkT0tTObRR-rOmp6GuQgaGA>
[image:
LinkedIn]
<https://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar_share?hl=en&oi=scholaralrt&ss=in&url=https://arxiv.org/pdf/2209.08093&rt=Towards+photophoretically+levitating+macroscopic+sensors+in+the+stratosphere&scisig=AAGBfm3cOHkKkT0tTObRR-rOmp6GuQgaGA>
[image:
Facebook]
<https://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar_share?hl=en&oi=scholaralrt&ss=fb&url=https://arxiv.org/pdf/2209.08093&rt=Towards+photophoretically+levitating+macroscopic+sensors+in+the+stratosphere&scisig=AAGBfm3cOHkKkT0tTObRR-rOmp6GuQgaGA>

This message was sent by Google Scholar because you're following new
articles written by David Keith
<https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?hl=en&user=PfciJkgAAAAJ>.
List alerts
<https://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar_alerts?view_op=list_alerts&email_for_op=andrew.lockley%40gmail.com&alert_id=0EBnkVmQAO0J&hl=en>