https://makesunsets.com/blogs/news/january-2023-flights

*01 January 2023*

*Make Sunsets *

We plan to fly at least *3 balloons in January 2023.* Here's some
details. *Anyone
can comment here* (
https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1vpPNk7f2yOzbX0UdaBDgGj-7gzObm2ZMy6RM_bWx5lA/mobilebasic),
and *we'll consider input before finalizing launch plans!*

*Where/When*:
Southern Baja, Mexico. We'll plan exact location based on weather
conditions, utilizing *SondeHub Predictor* (https://predict.sondehub.org/)
to decide exactly where and when. Target will be near a road but away from
any population center.

*Balloons:*
These flights will be latex weather balloons rated at 1200g.

*Lift Gas:*
These flights will utilize helium.

*Clouds:*
We will utilize sulfur dioxide generated by burning sulfur in the presence
of oxygen. Each launch will include between 10g and 500g of clouds (target
100g+).

*Target altitude:*
We will use a *balloon performance calculator* (
http://tools.highaltitudescience.com/#) to inflate such that we're likely
to achieve a burst altitude of ~33km.

*Flight Body: *
We're running *this body* (
https://www.highaltitudescience.com/products/eagle-pro-near-space-kit), and
we'll likely add pool noodles for floatation (in case of a water landing).

*Telemetry*:
We're including *this flight computer* (
https://www.highaltitudescience.com/collections/electronics/products/eagle-flight-computer)
as well as a Spot tracker. Note that the *Spot tracker* (
https://www.findmespot.com/en-us/) cuts out at 18km and the flight computer
isn't transmitting data, so we'll only get full detail if we recover the
balloon. Additionally, we'll be flying a camera.

*Publication*:
Within a week of each flight, we will publish all data obtained on our
website.

Next Round (after January flights), priorities to add include:
- *Swarm* (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/19236) for data transmission
during flight
-waterproof + buoyant flight body
-separate "cloud" chamber that vents at target altitude
-partial balloon venting at target altitude
-lighter camera and/or flights without
-switch to hydrogen (if we can safely flare at altitude or otherwise deal
with GHG implications).

*Source: Make Sunsets*