*WEEKLY SUMMARY (11 SEPTEMBER - 17 SEPTEMBER 2023)*
------------------------------
RESEARCH PAPERSImportance of microphysical settings for climate forcing by
stratospheric SO2 injections as modelled by SOCOL-AERv2
<https://egusphere.copernicus.org/preprints/2023/egusphere-2023-1726/>

Vattioni, S., Stenke, A., Luo, B., Chiodo, G., Sukhodolov, T., Wunderlin,
E., & Peter, T. (2023). Importance of microphysical settings for climate
forcing by stratospheric SO 2 injections as modelled by SOCOL-AERv2.
*EGUsphere*, *2023*, 1-25.

*Abstract:* Solar radiation management as a sustained deliberate source of
SO2 into the stratosphere (strat-SRM) has been proposed as an option for
climate intervention. Global interactive aerosol-chemistry-climate models
are often used to investigate the potential cooling efficiencies and side
effects of hypothesised strat-SRM scenarios. A recent strat-SRM model
intercomparison study for composition-climate models with interactive
stratospheric aerosol suggests that the modelled climate response to a
particular assumed injection strategy, depends on the type of aerosol
microphysical scheme used (e.g., modal or sectional representation),
alongside also host model resolution and transport. Compared to
short-duration volcanic SO2 emission, the continuous SO2 injections in
strat-SRM scenarios may pose a greater challenge to the numerical
implementation of of microphysical processes such as nucleation,
condensation, and coagulation. This study explores how changing the
timesteps and sequencing of microphysical processes in the sectional
aerosol-chemistry-climate model SOCOL-AERv2 (40 size bins) affect model
predicted climate and ozone layer impacts considering strat-SRM
SO2 injections of of 5 and 25 Tg(S) yr-1 at 20 km altitude between 30° S
and 30° N. The model experiments consider year 2040 boundary conditions for
ozone depleting substances and green house gases. We focus on the length of
the microphysical timestep and the call sequence of nucleation and
condensation, the two competing sink processes for gaseous H2SO4. Under
stratospheric background conditions, we find no effect of the microphysical
setup on the simulated aerosol properties. However, at the high sulfur
default microphysical timesetp of 6 min, changing the call sequence from
the default "condensation first" to "nucleation first" leads to a massive
increase in the number densities of particles in the nucleation mode (*R* <
0.01 μm) and a small decrease in coarse mode particles (*R* > 1 μm). As
expected, the influence of the call sequence becomes negligible when the
microphysical timestep is reduced to a few seconds, with the model
solutions converging to a size distribution with a pronounced nucleation
mode. While the main features and spatial patterns of climate forcing by
SO2 injections are not strongly affected by the microphysical
configuration, the absolute numbers vary considerably. For the extreme
injection with 25 Tg(S) yr-1, the simulated net global radiative forcing
ranges from -2.3 W m-2 to -5.3 W m-2, depending on the microphysical
configuration. “Nucleation first” shifts the size distribution towards
radii better suited for solar scattering (0.3 μm < *R* < 0.4 μm), enhancing
the intervention efficiency. The size-distribution shift however generates
more ultra-fine aerosol particles, increasing the surface area density,
resulting in 10 DU less ozone (about 3 % of total column) in the northern
midlatitudes and 20 DU less ozone (6 %) over the polar caps, compared to
the "condensation first" approach. Our results suggest that a reasonably
short microphysical time step of 2 minutes or less must be applied to
accurately capture the magnitude of the H2SO2 supersaturation resulting
from SO2 injection scenarios or volcanic eruptions. Taken together these
results underscore how structural aspects of model representation of
aerosol microphysical processes become important under conditions of
elevated stratospheric sulfur in determining atmospheric chemistry and
climate impacts.

No Emergency Brake: Slow Ocean Response to Abrupt Stratospheric Aerosol
Injection
<https://essopenarchive.org/doi/full/10.22541/essoar.169447423.32818318/v1>

Pflüger, D., Wieners, C. E., van Kampenhout, L., Wijngaard, R., & Dijkstra,
H. A. (2023). No Emergency Brake: Slow Ocean Response to Abrupt
Stratospheric Aerosol Injection. *Authorea Preprints*.

*Abstract*: Given the possibility of irreversible changes to the Earth
system, technological interventions such as solar radiation management
(SRM) are sometimes framed as possible climate emergency brakes. However,
little knowledge exists on the efficacy of such disruptive interventions.
To fill in this gap, we perform Community Earth System Model 2 (CESM 2)
simulations of a SSP5-8.5 scenario on which we impose either gradual
early-century SRM to stabilise surface temperatures or a rapid late-century
cooling, both realised via stratospheric aerosol injection (SAI). While
both scenarios cool Earth’s surface, we find that ocean conditions differ
drastically. The rapid-cooling scenario fails to dissipate sub-surface
ocean heat content (OHC), ends up in a weaker AMOC state and does not
restore an ailing North Atlantic deep convection. Furthermore, the weakened
AMOC state mediates the climate response to rapid SAI, thus inducing an
interhemispheric temperature asymmetry. Our results advise caution when
considering SAI as an emergency intervention.

------------------------------
THESISA Discourse Analysis of the Debate on Geoengineering in Japan
<https://studenttheses.uu.nl/handle/20.500.12932/44895>
------------------------------
REPORTSReducing the Risks of Climate Overshoot
<https://www.overshootcommission.org/_files/ugd/0c3b70_bab3b3c1cd394745b387a594c9a68e2b.pdf>
<https://www.overshootcommission.org/_files/ugd/0c3b70_bab3b3c1cd394745b387a594c9a68e2b.pdf>
------------------------------
WEB POSTSDesperate Measures: Geoengineering as Humankind's Last Climate
Gamble
<https://thesunflowerparadigm.blogspot.com/2023/08/desperate-measures-geoengineering-as.html>
(The Sunflower Paradigm)Empowering Youth for Climate Intervention: Insights
from the 2023 Global Youth Summit on Near-term Climate Risks and
Interventions
<https://www.silverlining.ngo/insights/empowering-youth-for-climate-intervention-global-youth-summit-2023>
(SilverLining)Dear Colleague Letter: CO2 Removal and Solar Radiation
Modification Strategies: Science, Governance and Consequences
<https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2023/nsf23151/nsf23151.jsp?org=NSF> (NSF)Experts
call for a global moratorium on efforts to geoengineer climate
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/sep/14/experts-call-for-global-moratorium-on-efforts-to-geoengineer-climate?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other>
(The Guardian)EarthShine Geoengineering Inc. Awarded Patent for
Groundbreaking Climate Crisis Solution
<https://www.einnews.com/pr_news/655691573/earthshine-geoengineering-inc-awarded-patent-for-groundbreaking-climate-crisis-solution>
(Newswires)Global SRM Technologies - A Tier List (Plan A+)
Plan A+
Global SRM Technologies - A Tier List
<https://peteirvine.substack.com/p/global-srm-technologies-a-tier-list?utm_source=substack&utm_campaign=post_embed&utm_medium=email>
Stratospheric Aerosol Injection (SAI) geoengineering is my main research
focus and the focus of this substack, but why? There are several other SRM
technologies, what makes SAI special? In this post I’m going to populate a
“Tier List” of global SRM technologies (Figure 1), i.e., I’m going to rank
them as means of counteracting global climate change. Let…
Read more
<https://peteirvine.substack.com/p/global-srm-technologies-a-tier-list?utm_source=substack&utm_campaign=post_embed&utm_medium=email>
5 days ago · 1 comment · Pete Irvine
------------------------------
*UPCOMING EVENTS*(NEW) Professor Chris Field in conversation on the Climate
Overshoot Commission at the Healthy Planet Action Coalition
<https://groups.google.com/g/geoengineering/c/ML8O-ULnDp0> | 21 September
2023*Solar Climate Intervention Virtual Symposia
<https://sites.google.com/view/solargeo-symposium/home> | 22 September 2023*
(NEW) Making well-informed decisions about solar radiation modification by
Carnegie Climate Governance Initiative (C2G), UNESCO, The Energy and
Resources Institute (TERI), The Degrees Initiative
<https://sciencesummitunga78.sched.com/event/1O4is> | 26 September 2023*Solar
Geoengineering Futures: Interdisciplinary Research to Inform Decisionmaking
by Resources for Future
<https://www.rff.org/events/conferences/solar-geoengineering-futures-current-research-and-uncertainties/>
| 28-29 September 2023**Conference—Solar Geoengineering Futures: Current
Research and Uncertainties by Resources for the Future (RFF)
<https://www.rff.org/events/conferences/solar-geoengineering-futures-current-research-and-uncertainties/>|
28-29 September 2023*(NEW) Perspectives on Solar Radiation Management
Governance by Geneva Environment Network
<https://www.genevaenvironmentnetwork.org/events/perspectives-on-solar-radiation-management-governance/>
| 12 October 2023*Climate Engineering (GRS)
<https://www.grc.org/climate-engineering-grs-conference/2024/>| 17-18
February 2024**GRC Climate Engineering 2024
<https://www.grc.org/climate-engineering-conference/2024/>| 18-23 February
2024*
------------------------------
PODCASTSPutting a halt to geoengineering — by accident | Catalyst with
Shayle Kann
<https://www.canarymedia.com/podcasts/catalyst-with-shayle-kann/putting-a-halt-to-geoengineering-by-accident>

*“In this episode, Shayle talks to Dan Visioni
<https://dan-visioni.github.io/>, a climate scientist and assistant
professor at Cornell University’s Department of Earth and Atmospheric
Sciences. They cover topics including**-The mechanism behind marine cloud
brightening and how it differs from stratospheric sulfate injection.**-Why
the warming effect was so strong in the North Atlantic in particular.**-What
we still don’t understand about the impact on global mean temperatures and
regional weather, such as heat waves and hurricanes.**-What this accidental
experiment teaches us about how to conduct a deliberate geoengineering
experiment.”*

------------------------------
YOUTUBE VIDEOSOvershooting 1.5°C: the latest science on the risks and
action needed | Climate Analytics
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1NqMDRD0XU>

*“This webinar, hosted by the Horizon Europe project looking at climate
overshoot (PROVIDE), features presentations and expert discussion on what
the latest science suggests overshoot of 1.5°C could look like, what the
implications are for our planet and societies, and how this should inform
climate action today.**Implications for the speed of emissions reductions,
impacts and adaptation efforts, loss and damage are touched on, as well as
expert views on untested technologies such as solar geoengineering.”*

2023 UN 8th STI Forum - Solar Radiation Modification and youth perspectives
on its governance | Clara Botto
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mskvJM6E6Rg>

*“Brief presentation of our science-policy brief published at the 8th STI
Forum.”*

Youth Summit 2023: Youth in Pakistan Call for Increased Research into
Climate Interventions | SilverLining
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esDHWoKZ3Io>

*“SilverLining’s Global Young Leaders Initiative (GYLI) hosted its annual
youth summit - “Can We Keep 1.5°C Alive?” - on May 4, 2023. The event
brought together young leaders, advocates, policymakers, and climate
scientists, as well as global experts on climate intervention research and
international governance, in order to facilitate an open and interactive
dialogue in which young people’s voices are central.”*

Youth Summit 2023: Climate Intervention Research A Necessity for
Science-based Decision-making | SilverLining
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az-FuGlH1_Q>Solar Radiation Modification:
How do we plan to govern discussions? | SRM Youth Watch
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiJQOiCHhDk>

*“This animation is brought to you by Solar Radiation Modification Youth
Watch (SRM Youth Watch), as an artistic contribution regarding the
necessity to enhance inclusive, transparent and accountable global
governance frameworks around Solar Radiation Modification (SRM). **At SRM
Youth Watch, we are all about youth engagement! We provide accessible
learning resources and share captivating creative content, inviting young
minds to immerse themselves in the science, governance, and diverse
stakeholder viewpoints surrounding SRM. Our platform is a dynamic space
where the younger generation collaborates and contributes their insights to
the discourse on Solar Radiation Modification. We're here to raise
awareness, foster collaboration, and amplify youth voices in the governance
of emerging technologies that has the potential to alter our Earth’s
temperature.”*

*DEADLINES**PhD opportunity at University of Tasmania | Research Title:
Solar Radiation Management in Antarctica: International Law and Policy
Implications
<https://www.utas.edu.au/research/degrees/available-projects/projects/law/antarctic-solar-radiation-management>
Impact Fund <https://cieif.org/> | Application Deadline: 01 November 2023*