https://www.rff.org/publications/working-papers/international-climate-agreements-under-the-threat-of-solar-geoengineering/

This working paper uses a game theory model to analyze how opportunities to
deploy solar geoengineering measures impact international climate goals and
environmental agreements.

*Authors*
David McEvoy, Matthew McGinty, Todd Cherry, and Stephan Kroll

*Sept. 5, 2023*

*Abstract*
The possibility of overshooting global emissions targets has triggered a
public debate about the role solar geoengineering (SGE) - using
technologies to reflect solar radiation away from Earth - may play in
managing climate change. One major concern is that SGE technologies are
relatively cheap, and could potentially be deployed by a single nation (the
“free driver”) that could effectively control the global climate. Another
concern is that SGE opportunities may alter countries’ incentives to
cooperate on abatement. Here we develop a game-theoretic model to analyze
how opportunities to deploy SGE impact global abatement and the
effectiveness of international environmental agreements (IEAs) on climate
change. We show that non-cooperative abatement levels may increase or
decrease under the threat of SGE, depending on how damaging the
free-driver’s level of deployment is on others. We also show the stability
of IEAs that govern abatement is challenged by two competing strategic
incentives. One is a familiar free-rider incentive, which is the benefit a
country earns by leaving an agreement and lowering its abatement. The other
incentive is the benefit a country earns by joining an agreement and
increasing abatement in order to motivate the free-driver to reduce its
level of deployment. We introduce the term anti-driver to describe this
second incentive. Ultimately, we find that if the anti-driver incentives
are high enough, the threat of SGE can expand both the depth (i.e.,
abatement level) and breadth (i.e., participation level) of stable IEAs
compared to a world without SGE.

*Source: Resources for the Future*