*This item and others will be in the monthly “Solar Geoengineering Updates
Substack” newsletter:* https://solargeoengineeringupdates.substack.com/

https://egusphere.copernicus.org/preprints/2023/egusphere-2023-2337/

*Authors*
Susanne Baur <b...@cerfacs.fr>, Benjamin M. Sanderson, Roland
Séférian, and Laurent
Terray
How to cite. Baur, S., Sanderson, B. M., Séférian, R., and Terray, L.:
Solar Radiation Modification challenges decarbonization with renewable
solar energy, EGUsphere [preprint],
https://doi.org/10.5194/egusphere-2023-2337, 2023.

Abstract. Solar Radiation Modification (SRM) is increasingly being
discussed as a potential tool to reduce global and regional temperatures to
buy time for conventional carbon mitigation measures to take effect.
However, most simulations to date assume SRM as an additive component to
the climate change toolbox, without any physical coupling between
mitigation and SRM. In this study we analyse one aspect of this coupling:
How renewable energy (RE) capacity, and therefore decarbonization rates,
may be affected under SRM deployment by modification of photovoltaic (PV)
and concentrated solar power (CSP) production potential. Simulated 1-hour
output from the Earth System Model CNRM-ESM2-1 for scenario-based
experiments are used for the assessment. We find that by the end of the
century, most regions experience an increased number of low PV and CSP
energy weeks per year under SAI (Stratospheric Aerosol Injections) compared
to the moderately ambitiously mitigated scenario SSP245. Compared to the
unmitigated SSP585 scenario, while the increase in low energy weeks is
still dominant, some areas see fewer low PV or CSP energy weeks under SAI.
A substantial part of the decrease in potential with SAI compared to the
SSP-scenarios is compensated by optically thinner upper tropospheric clouds
under SAI. Our study suggests that using SAI to reduce high-end global
warming to moderate global warming could pose increased challenges for
meeting energy demand with solar renewable resources.
*Source: EGU Sphere*