*This item and others will be in the monthly “Solar Geoengineering Updates
Substack” newsletter:* https://solargeoengineeringupdates.substack.com/

https://interestingengineering.com/innovation/mach-5-hypersonic-ramjet-engine

Tiny but powerful Mach 5 ramjet engine could make drones supersonic soon
An Ohio-based startup, Velontra, has successfully tested its five-foot-long
hypersonic engine that can achieve speeds of Mach 5.
Christopher McFadden
<https://interestingengineering.com/author/christopher-mcfadden>
Published: Jun 23, 2023
[image: Testing the small hypersonic turbo-ramjet.]

A small Ohio-based startup, Velontra, has reported the successful testing
of its small hypersonic turbo-ramjet. The tests were conducted inside Purdue
University’s wind tunnel <https://www.ycombinator.com/companies/velontra>,
and the engine is described as a "first-of-its-kind." The incredible engine
developed can deliver thrust at over five times the speed of sound, which
is greater than Mach 5!

“It is powerful, small, and anything but tame. It is ready to buck the
system. We sent it through a wind tunnel at Purdue University at speeds
over Mach 4.5 and altitude simulated over 100,000ft, and it successfully
screamed through vigorous testing with flying colors,” said Velontra CEO
Robert Keane III.
[image: Tiny but powerful Mach 5 ramjet engine could make drones supersonic
soon]
Velontra Bronco engine.

Velontra <https://velontra.com/media/>

The engine is small but powerful

The engine measures <https://www.velontra.com/> 11 inches (28 cm) in
diameter and is five feet (1.5 meters) long. According to Velontra, the
cost of a Bronco unit will be "less than $200,000". The company was
established with affordability and speedy development as top priorities,
drawing inspiration from SpaceX, as stated by Velontra's CTO, Joel Darin.

“We don’t want to just ask investors to trust us with a ton of money and
ten years later see if our idea works or not. We want to produce actual
products at each stage that develop the technology we’ll eventually need.
This small application lets us develop a product at a fraction of the cost
[of full-scale hypersonics] that people will buy,” Darin explained.

Darin mentioned that conducting extensive hypersonic propulsion system
<https://interestingengineering.com/transportation/aviation-startup-unveils-its-hypersonic-jet-engine-by-firing-the-prototype>
tests
in full-scale wind tunnel facilities can amount to a whopping $50,000 per
hour. “We’re paying $300,000 to get two to three months of testing,” he
says. “The development is much cheaper, but the lessons we learn are
scale-able to bigger applications,” he added.

Velontra intends to incorporate the Bronco hypersonic propulsion
<https://www.forbes.com/sites/erictegler/2023/06/22/a-small-ohio-startup-is-testing-something-biga-small-hypersonic-engine/?sh=27bcc6a37922>
system
into compact drones, enabling them to reach supersonic speeds for
commercial and military purposes. Additionally, the company has outlined
its intentions to construct an unmanned spaceplane to serve as a satellite
launch platform.

“We have more than doubled our company size in the last six months, and our
scientists/engineers have advanced Velontra’s hypersonic propulsion system,
making our technology a premier market leader in the US as we compete with
the hypersonic capabilities of China and Russia,” said Keane.

https://youtu.be/EnZAmWunWe4?si=QWXjzCyML8-WKbY3

It can reach Mach 5

The afterburner technology
<https://www.aerospacetestinginternational.com/news/engine-testing/us-hypersonic-startup-tests-engine-in-wind-tunnel.html>
allows
for high speeds of over Mach 2 without any increase in drag. This speed is
further increased to over Mach 5 when in ramjet mode. According to Joel
Darin, the Chief Technology Officer of Velontra, their propulsion system is
state-of-the-art and provides advanced capabilities and applications that
were never possible before.

The Bronco propulsion system will power Velontra's hypersonic aircraft.
This cutting-edge prototype is set to revolutionize Velontra's Space Plane
and make Low Earth Orbit travel more efficient and reliable.

According to Derin, Velontra's next step is to enhance Bronco's performance
by focusing on aspects such as thrust, thrust vectoring, and durability,
aiming to achieve its first flight in the Venus Aerospace UAV. Successful
progress in these areas could lead to increased interest and funding for
the company.

However, the CEO of Velontra emphasizes that the primary objective is to
gain knowledge and experience through the sale of Broncos as rapidly as
possible.

*Source: Interesting Engineering*