*Authors*
Guy Dagan, Netta Yeheskel & Andrew I. L. Williams

*Citations*: Dagan, G., Yeheskel, N. & Williams, A.I.L. Radiative forcing
from aerosol–cloud interactions enhanced by large-scale circulation
adjustments. Nat. Geosci. (2023). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41561-023-01319-8

*20 November 2023*

*Abstract*
The impact of anthropogenic aerosols on clouds is a leading source of
uncertainty in estimating the effect of human activity on the climate
system. The challenge lies in the scale difference between clouds (~1–10
km) and general circulation and climate (>1,000 km). To address this, we
use convection-permitting simulations conducted in a long and narrow
domain, to resolve convection while also including a representation of
large-scale processes. We examine a set of simulations that include a sea
surface temperature gradient—which drives large-scale circulation—and
compare these with simulations that include no gradient. We show that the
effective radiative forcing due to aerosol–cloud interactions is strongly
enhanced by adjustments of large-scale circulation to aerosol. We find that
an increase in aerosol concentration suppresses precipitation in
shallow-convective regions, which enhances water vapour transport to the
portion of the domain dominated by deep convection. The subsequent increase
in latent heat release in deep-convective regions strengthens the
overturning circulation and surface evaporation. These changes can explain
the increase in cloudiness under higher aerosol concentrations and,
consequently, the large aerosol radiative effect. This work highlights the
fundamental importance of large-scale circulation adjustments in
understanding the effective radiative forcing from aerosol–cloud
interactions.

*Source: Nature*