*WEEKLY SUMMARY (27 NOVEMBER - 03 DECEMBER 2023)
<https://substack.com/app-link/publications/1346479/drafts/085938a4-8b4d-4a33-af57-2eac8142ffc2?publication_id=1346479&post_id=139197216&utm_source=post-email-title&utm_campaign=email-post-title&isFreemail=false>**Subscribe
to Solar Geoengineering Updates Substack here:*

Thanks for reading Solar Geoengineering Updates! Subscribe to receive new
posts and support my work.

Pledge your support
<https://solargeoengineeringupdates.substack.com/subscribe?utm_source=test&utm_campaign=email-checkout&next=https%3A%2F%2Fsolargeoengineeringupdates.substack.com%2Fpublish%2Fpost%2F139432824&utm_medium=email&utm_source=subscribe-widget-preamble&utm_content=139432824>
DEADLINES*Call for Proposals-Grants for social science research on solar
radiation modification | Deadline: 13 December 2023
<https://link.sbstck.com/redirect/406a123d-1524-41ec-b2b9-486abcf28cdf?j=eyJ1IjoiMjJrMHl3In0.wQQsFypG52typ8FI2nhnJ8eUoUIIkdCkuhmzxNYKtgE>*(NEW)
Call for Papers: Special Collection "Towards a Risk-Risk-Assessment of
Solar Radiation Modification"
<https://academic.oup.com/oocc/pages/solar-radiation-modification?login=false>
| Deadline for manuscript submissions: 31 May 2024
------------------------------
RESEARCH PAPERSEvidence that deliberate marine cloud brightening can be
more effective than previously thought
<https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-3291831/v1>

Chen, Y., Haywood, J., Wang, Y., Malavelle, F., Jordan, G., Peace, A., ...
& Lohmann, U. (2023). Evidence that deliberate marine cloud brightening can
be more effective than previously thought. *UMBC Faculty Collection*.
*Abstract*With global warming currently standing at approximately + 1.2 °C,
climate change is a pressing global issue. Marine cloud brightening (MCB)
proposes injecting aerosols into marine clouds to enhance their
reflectivity and thereby planetary albedo. However, because it is unclear
how aerosols influence clouds, especially cloud cover, both climate
projections and the effectiveness of MCB remain uncertain. Here, we use
volcanic eruptions to quantify the aerosol fingerprint on tropical marine
clouds. We observe a large enhancement in reflected sunlight, mainly due to
an aerosol-induced increase in cloud cover. This observational evidence of
a strong aerosol impact suggests that the Earth’s climate is highly
sensitive to external forcing mechanisms, but also that mitigation of
global warming via MCB is more plausible than current climate models
suggest. Our results suggest that the best efficacy for MCB practice is to
seed clouds in humid and stable meteorological conditions.

Climate Engineering <https://www.mdpi.com/2073-4433/14/10/1490>

Wang, J., Zhang, Z., Crabbe, M. J. C., & Das, L. C. (2023). Responses of
Extreme Climates in South Asia under a G6sulfur Scenario of Climate
Engineering. *Atmosphere*, *14*(10), 1490.*Abstract*Under global warming
scenarios, extreme climate events in South Asia will occur more frequently
which will seriously threaten the safety of local residents. South Asia
faces dual pressures of the obligation of carbon emissions reduction
globally and the demand for a better life for huge populations.
Stratospheric Aerosol Injection (SAI) climate engineering provides a
potential solution to this dilemma. We compared the evolution of 12 climate
extreme indices under historical scenarios, two future scenarios (SSP245,
SSP585) and an implementation scenario of SAI climate engineering
(G6sulfur). We showed that the intensity and frequency of extreme climates
under a G6sulfur scenario would be significantly higher than those under
historical scenarios, and that the difference in extreme climates under
three scenarios (SSP245, SSP585, and G6sulfur) would be widely varying,
with some indices being considerably mitigated while others would reflect a
worse set of circumstances than would be the case without SAI climate
engineering. Therefore, SAI climate engineering is not an effective tool to
mitigate future climate extremes in South Asia under global warming
scenarios.

Stratospheric Sulfate Aerosols Impacts on West African Monsoon
Precipitation Using GeoMIP Models
<https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1029/2023EF003779>

Bonou, F., Da‐Allada, C. Y., Baloitcha, E., Alamou, E., Biao, E. I.,
Zandagba, J., ... & Tilmes, S. (2023). Stratospheric sulfate aerosols
impacts on West African monsoon precipitation using GeoMIP models. *Earth's
Future*, *11*(11), e2023EF003779.*Abstract*Stratospheric Aerosol
Geoengineering (SAG) is proposed to offset global warming; however, the use
of this approach can an impact on the hydrological cycle. We used
simulations from Coupled Model Intercomparison Project (CMIP5) and
Geoengineering Model Intercomparison Project (G3 simulation) to analyze the
impacts of SAG on precipitation (P) and to determine its responsible causes
in West Africa and Sahel region. CMIP5 historical data were first
validated, the results obtained are consistent with observational data.
Under the Representative Concentration Pathway scenario RCP4.5, a slight
increase is found in the West Africa Region relative to present-day
climate. The dynamic processes especially, the monsoon shifts are
responsible for this precipitation change. Under RCP4.5, during the monsoon
period, reductions in P are 0.86%, 0.80% relative to the present-day
climate in the Northern and Southern Sahel, respectively, while
precipitation is increased by 1.04% in the West African Region. Under SAG,
we find a 3.71% decrease of precipitation in the West African Region while
the precipitation decrease is 17.4% and 8.47% respectively in the North
Sahel and South Sahel. This decrease in monsoon precipitation is mainly
explained by changes in dynamics, which lead to weakened monsoon
circulation and a shift in the distribution of monsoon precipitation. This
result suggests that SAG deployment to balance all warming can be harmful
to rainfall in WAR if the amount of SO2 to be injected into this tropical
area is not taken into consideration.

How may solar geoengineering impact global prospects for climate change
mitigation?
<https://academic.oup.com/oxrep/article-abstract/39/4/828/7425305?redirectedFrom=fulltext>

Ricke, K., & Harding, A. (2023). How may solar geoengineering impact global
prospects for climate change mitigation?. *Oxford Review of Economic Policy*,
*39*(4), 828-841.*Abstract*As disruptions from climate change increase, so
will the urgency to find shorter-term approaches to ameliorating its harms.
This may include calls to implement solar geoengineering, an approach to
cooling the planet by reflecting incoming sunlight back to space. While the
exact effects of solar geoengineering are still highly uncertain, physical
science to date suggests that it may be effective at reducing many aspects
of climate change in the short term. One of the biggest concerns about
solar geoengineering is the extent to which it may interfere with crucial
emissions reductions policies, i.e. mitigation. There are multiple channels
by which geoengineering could alter mitigation pathways, both financial and
behavioural. Here we define three such linkages and present the evidence
available to constrain their potential magnitudes. Because solar
geoengineering is not a substitute for mitigation, policies to develop or
implement technologies that could be used to carry it out should be
designed to accentuate its complementary nature to mitigation and deter the
possibility it is used to delay decarbonizing the economy.

Reduced Ice Loss From Greenland Under Stratospheric Aerosol Injection
<https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1029/2023JF007112>

Moore, J. C., Greve, R., Yue, C., Zwinger, T., Gillet‐Chaulet, F., & Zhao,
L. (2023). Reduced ice loss from Greenland under stratospheric aerosol
injection. *Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface*, *128*(11),
e2023JF007112.*Abstract*Sea level rise (SLR) due to surface melt and to
dynamic losses from the ice sheets—that is via accelerated flow of glaciers
into the sea—is something that may be potentially mitigated by cooling the
ice sheet and oceans via solar geoengineering. We use two ice dynamic
models driven by changes in surface mass balance (SMB) from four climate
models to estimate the SLR contribution from the Greenland ice sheet under
the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Representative
Concentration Pathway (RCP) 4.5, and 8.5, and Geoengineering Model
Intercomparison Project G4 scenarios. The G4 scenario adds 5 Tg/yr sulfate
aerosols to the equatorial lower stratosphere (equivalent of 1/4 the 1991
Mt Pinatubo SO2 eruption) to the IPCC RCP4.5 scenario, which itself
approximates the greenhouse gas emission commitments agreed in Paris in
2015. Over the 2020–2090 period, mass loss under G4 is about 31%–38% that
under RCP4.5, which is 36%–48% lower than under RCP8.5. Ice lost across the
grounding line under both G4 and RCP4.5 is reduced in the future as the
termini of many southeast Greenland outlets retreat onto bedrock above sea
level. Glaciers with large low-lying catchments in the west, north, and
northeast of Greenland (e.g., Jakobshavn, 79N, Zachariae Isstrøm, and
Petermann glaciers) discharge more ice from the ice-sheet interior under
RCP4.5 than under G4. Although calving losses vary much more than the SMB
difference between ice dynamic models, both models point to significant ice
discharge losses of between 15% and 42% across the scenarios.

[image: Figure 1] <https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-3291831/v1>
------------------------------
WEB POSTSInés Camilloni contributes to UNESCO ethics report on SRM
<https://www.degrees.ngo/ines-camilloni-contributes-to-unesco-ethics-report-on-srm/>
(The Degrees Initiative)
------------------------------
REPORTSReport of The World Commission on the Ethics of Scientific Knowledge
and Technology (COMEST) on the Ethics of Climate Engineering
<https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000386677> (UNESCO)
------------------------------
*UPCOMING EVENTS*(NEW) SilverLining Reception: Intergenerational Dialogue
on Near-term Climate risk and Intervention
<https://www.silverlining.ngo/silverlining-at-cop28> | 05 December 2023 |
Dubai(NEW) A Parasol for Mother Earth? Geoengineering for Climate Change at
Sheridan College Museum of Discovery Science, Canada
<https://www.thesheridanpress.com/news/local/college-science-lecture-will-discuss-geoengineering/article_6c21981c-8fe8-11ee-b479-0fa3ea3cbb7c.html>
| 06 December 2023*104th Annual Meeting by American Meteorological Society
<https://ams.confex.com/ams/104ANNUAL/meetingapp.cgi/Program/1743> | 28
January 2024 - 01 February 2023**Climate Engineering (GRS)
<https://www.grc.org/climate-engineering-grs-conference/2024/>| 17-18
February 2024**GRC Climate Engineering 2024
<https://www.grc.org/climate-engineering-conference/2024/>| 18-23 February
2024*
------------------------------
PODCASTSA radical solution to address climate change, with David Keith |
Big Brains
<https://news.uchicago.edu/radical-solution-address-climate-change-david-keith>

*“Solar geoengineering technology holds possibilities and pitfalls,
renowned scientist argues.**Climate change can feel like an impossible
crisis these days. Every week there is some new report about the
irreversible damage we’re doing to our planet and the havoc it will bring
to people’s lives. We all know cutting emissions is the solution, yet
governments and companies seem no closer to meeting the goals that
scientists say we must hit. It can feel hopeless.**There is one possible
controversial solution to climate change many in the mainstream haven’t
discussed. It’s so controversial, in fact, that some experts say we
shouldn’t even be discussing it. But University of Chicago Professor David
Keith says we need to talk about it. It’s called solar geoengineering—the
process in which you reflect a small fraction of sunlight back into space
using aerosols. As the founding director of the Climate Systems Engineering
Initiative at UChicago, Keith is leading a team that will research solar
geoengineering and other novel solutions to climate change.”*

------------------------------
YOUTUBE VIDEOS*Why it is important for the Global South to engage in
governance discussions of SRM. | SRM YOUTH WATCH*
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4m1C85iBEY>

*"Engagement in SRM goverance discussions does not mean support of SRM"*

*TechEthos - Climate Engineering and Ethical Issues | Ecsite Executive
Office* <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMUvIO8JF6U>

*“What are some of the most pressing ethical issues related to climate
engineering? What are some key regulatory challenges related to climate
engineering technologies, such as carbon removal? What role should climate
engineering play in meeting the EU’s target of net zero by 2050? Bennet
Francis, Dominic Lenzi, and Michel Bourban (UT) share their thoughts on
climate engineering.”*

A radical solution to address climate change, with David Keith | The
University of Chicago <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWHb0iEAxGY>

[...]

The Plastic Sea of Almeria: Proof of Concept Solar Radiation Management The
Giant Sun Reflector MEER | Climate Alert
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gRbqIsDfTg>