I don't really know how much maintenance would be required going
forward as the Ruby bindings seem are quite stable. Perhaps this sort
of release will foster some interest in new features in the bindings
themselves. For our part, we've never had to patch away at the
bindings directly and have been putting all of our extensions into the
separate gem we'll be releasing, so that's kind of a separate thing.

In a perfect world, I would probably rewrite the Ruby bindings to not use SWIG because that makes it really hard for others to contribute due to SWIG's learning code and the awful C code it generates.

However, its not that big of a win as long as the current bindings expose whats needed from the geos c api and then any extensions/additions/language specific stuff is done in regular ruby code.

But if you have a week to kill J, I think it would be a nice change :)

Charlie

Charlie Savage
http://cfis.savagexi.com