A few comments about NEWS:

  I find the style of listing the alpha and rc separately confusing for
  those who go from 3.6.2 to 3.7.0 (should be almost everyone).  So
  instead of having them separate, I would start a "3.7.0 (not released
  yet)" section on the branch used fore 3.7 (which I guess is trunk
  after 3.6 branch was made) and then just start editing things in.

  The C++11 description is not entirely clear to me, and I think it
  should be extra loud up front.  It's a big deal as many systems have
  default compilers that are too old for C++11 (but this is a widespread
  issue with the combination of C++ and gcc).

  About C++11, it's clear that one must use C++11 to build geos.  So
  that probably forces anything that links with geos's C++ library to be
  built with C++11, because the gcc C++ ABI isn't stable.  And there may
  be a requirement to use C++11 to compile anything that includes the
  C++ .h files, because of using C++11 constructs.  That should be
  stated clearly either way.

  Presumably there is no requirement to use C++11 anything to link
  against geos_c.   Perhaps that should be stated, even though it would
  be bizarre otherwise, given the amount of trouble that the C++/gcc
  siutation has caused.