There is nothing intrinsically postgis about the solution, we envisage it a
JDBC capability.

A parameter with a sensible default could advertise the table or function
that would be interrogated to find functions intended to be advertised.

My could attempt to call a function
getRegisteredFunctions(key)  where key is a configuration parameter that may
be null. Such a function could just hardcode function names if you only want
a couple.

The alternative would be to allow the JDBC connection to access a table, so
different user logins could access different sets of functions.  This may be
more work at the db administration end.

Open to ideas as to which is best strategy.

Rob