Perhaps the paradigm we are looking for is more like version control,
where incremental changes are made to a body, and when happy with a
complete set we tag the set.

It would be neat to be able to store and access components of
configurations in a version control system or other registry
infrstructure - I already use subversion for handling configs - it
would be real nice to use the UI to manage just those components I
want under instance control.  for example, and organisation may want
to deploy many services (instances of geoserver, some production WFS,
soem WMS, some testbeds, some development etc) using common
configuration components. When building real-world distributed systems
he current UI monolithic governance model for all configuration
metadata makes it worth avoiding and hand-editing in a controlled way.

Rob A