Will it help if we aim for CITE compliance with 2.0, using the
app-schemas stuff.?

For people who will care about CITE, they are probably going to care
about app-schema support as well (cf. INSPIRE).

IMHO we could afford to let CITE conformance slide for pre 2.0
versions - in much the same way as we dont try to certify OGC
conformance for every release.

i.e. Put the energy into optimising performance and hack-free
configuration for 2.0.

The question is if we lose people not willing to wait till 2.0? Would
be good to do a poll of people to see what combination of requirements
they have. It deosnt make sense to talk about INSPIRE's requirements
without supporting INSPIRE compliant app-schemas for example, so
optimising 1.7 performance to meet thier needs doesnt really make much
sense.

NB This way we are still free to have a non-compliant (to a published
standard) but fast format(s) that takes shortcuts for people who care
more about performance than transparency of contract. Effectively 1.7
only supports these, no big deal perhaps?

Rob