Yes, I did the the same thing with imagemosaic-jdbc which was completely
taken from geotools.

The difference is that there are 2 modules

gt-feature-pregeneralized  from geotools
feature-pregeneralized  from geoserver

which are tied together.

Should I make 2 independent extensions ?. That could be confusing.