Either of the last two options would be an improvement.

Ian did mention the idea of #2 with a short cut for people to load
data into? If you think you can do that it would make the most sense;
if you run into any trouble go for option #3.

By "not great for vista / 8" I literally mean we are violating the
operating system restrictions and it is bending over backwards to help
us not be broken.  You may be able to run geoserver with heightened
security credentials in order to write into program files - but it is
not something we are doing right now?

Jody