Hi Andrea,
      I've been working on giving it a spin with our own data.  The tutorial
is excellent.  Easy to read and follow.
      I'm currently testing it on a Windows 2003 server with nightly build
geoserver-2.0.x-2010-03-03-bin.zip, and
geoserver-2.0.2-SNAPSHOT-pyramid-plugin.zip
      The test I've been doing is with 0.5ft (0.15m) color orthophotos that
sum to about 150GB as TIFFs.  They are currently tiled as 5000x4000 images.
I've retiled them with gdal_retile as 2048x2048 images with overviews with
the following command:

gdal_retile -v -s_srs "EPSG:102722" -levels 5 -ps 2048 2048 -targetdir test3
--optfile tilelist.txt

I'm currently working on a subset of the data for testing.
Checking all the tiles generated from gdal_retile, they all look fine in an
image viewer, and check out  (with a spot check) with gdalinfo.

When I load them in GeoServer, I get a strange effect.  Some of the tiles
never render at their full resolution for a given zoom level, but at a
reduced resolution.  If I load ~16 tiles vs. loading e.g. 40+ tiles the
places where this happens shifts, i.e. tiles that were a problem before stop
being a problem, while other tiles exhibit the same behavior.

Does this make sense, is this an effect you've seen, and would images and
log files be helpful?

Thanks,
Steve