App-schema allows clients to use style sheets to deal with responses.
(Because its a known schema, a stylesheet can be published and used to
render it. I have build clients with catalogues of stylesheets for
each feature type - and no way would it be worth bother with ad-hoc
flat schemas).  We build an entire enterprise content magement,
project tracking and time-sheeting system using WFS, and also Local
government facilities booking systems based on this,
off-theshelf-desktop GIS is the niche market here, compared to
business Web applications.

general purpose GIS clients arent particulary useful getFeatureInfo
endpoints anyway - enableing actual applications to be built with the
services is a higher priority.

if the describeFeaturetype response delivers a gml 3 schema,
getFeatureInfo should respect that for the same feature types -
otherwise how will a client ever know what to trust?

IMHO we should use the sub-typing mechanism to override these
defaults, and support both text/xml or application/vnd.ogc.gml mime
types to be forgiving.

Rob