> The reason why the original module did not have ip address control is due to
> routers and
> proxies.
> When you have a big organization, with hundred or thousands of people behind
> a single
> public ip address, it gets difficult to use just the ip: you might be
> handling a user with
> a single ip that's flooding you, or seeing the effect of 30 people working
> in parallel
> against GeoServer, while you want to stop/limit the first applying limits to
> the seconds
> might well make the application unusable for that particular organization.

Well I'd say that for a big public deployment it'd be better to
throttle or blacklist an organization rather than risk having it go
down for everyone.

But I agree that we should allow more granularity.  User throttling
can help with that I think.  I realize that most people don't actually
log in to GeoServer now, but I think that's going to start to change
with the new security stuff that more easily integrates with ldap and
single sign ons, and with things like GeoNode that put users more to
the fore.  And I think if there's a benefit like more granular
throttling control than admins will see an advantage to having users
login in.

Looking at the proposal it says that per user is cookie-based.  Is
that just because the current state of the security system?  Is this
proposal compatible with the security work Justin and Christian have
been doing (unfortunately there's not much public info thus far on
http://geoserver.org/display/GEOS/GSIP+71+-+New+Security+Subsystem, so
that may be more a question for Justin and Christian than you Juan).
Like if one uses a new single sign on plugin on the security system
for users than will that work fine with the existing control flow user
throttling?

And how does per ip and per user throttling should interact with one
another?  Like if you turn on throttling for both users and IP's can
the users all from one IP get throttled less than if they weren't
logged in?  Which one takes precedent, is there any configuration
possible to say how they interact?