Hey, apologies for a bit of a delay on response to this.

So for me TOPP is just the entity that holds copyright, and it's up to the
PSC to decide any changes to that copyright. So I don't think I'd feel
comfortable with any OpenGeo employee saying it's ok, unless it's the
express wish of the PSC.

Now OpenGeo policy has always been to push the code to the lowest level of
libraries as possible, and that any code written for GeoServer is available
for GeoTools if people want to port it. And I feel comfortable giving that
approval to OpenGeo employees, and to anyone else who wants to take OpenGeo
code.

I think the thing to do is have the PSC set a policy on migrating code from
GeoServer to GeoTools. I think it could set some threshold under which
moving code over is pre-approved, and that larger commits should ask the
PSC? I don't think it has to be a ton of red tape, just a GSIP that we
adopt. And then TOPP can reiterate that somehow officially, and not have to
ask every time.

For this case in particular, if we want to move faster, I feel comfortable
approving the porting of all code done by OpenGeo employees on OpenGeo time
to GeoTools. It looks like Simone also did some of the work, so I'd say if
he is also comfortable with porting it over then we have approval. Or we
can ask the PSC.

Chris