To reiterate a bit - in GeoServer we aren't trying to replace GeoNetwork,
to be a full catalog 'solution'. We just want to expose GeoServer holdings
as CSW. So one would use something like GeoNetwork in a full SDI that
requires full metadata and complex editing of that and aggregating many
services. But CSW in GeoServer should make it easier for GeoNetwork to
harvest information from GeoServers, and to just follow a philosophy of
keeping the metadata close to the data. We definitely don't want to make a
full metadata editor like GeoNetwork offers, just want to handle 'search'
of data layers that can be accessed from GeoServer well.

My personal hope is that GeoNetwork continues its work to split up all the
functionality it does, so it can interoperate better. In the GeoNetwork
package you get a great CSW (and a number of other protocols to search), a
portal builder toolkit, a metadata editor and a set of 'harvesting' tools.
GeoServer will only look to do basic CSW. So if you want more search
protocols you'd probably want to sync your GeoServer with GeoNetwork. And
the other 3 things that GeoNetwork does should remain outside of GeoServer.
We also want to build better 'syncing' with GeoNetwork, so one can edit
service level metadata in either place and have it sync.

Chris