Another library you might refer to and potentially incorporate is
https://code.google.com/p/ows-service-framework/

Mike Botts, who lead spec development of SWE stuff, has been building up
that library. And we've talked with him a few times about eventually
incorporating it in to the GeoServer/GeoTools code base.

Not sure if the code can be easily incorporated in its existing state, but
it is license compatible, and at the very least could be inspiration.