One thing that might be a great opportunity, Google Open Source Programs
office is hosting a Doc Sprint along with FLOSS Manuals in December. Sahana
and Open Street Map participated last year and it was a great resource. If
GeoServer would like to participate it would be best to go through Anne
Ghisla and OSGeo to make sure it is clear that this is being done through
OSGeo which has been the Google Summer of Code organization for several
years.

Announcement here:

Dear GSoC mentors and org admins,

Google Summer of Code in collaboration with Aspiration and FLOSS Manuals is
hosting a "Doc Sprint Camp" at Google's Mountain View headquarters
(California) Dec 3 - 7, 2012.

The 2012 Doc Camp will feature:

1) An unconference on free software documentation topics - facilitated by
Aspiration

2) 2-5 Book Sprints to produce books on free softwares - facilitated by
FLOSS Manuals

Building on the success of the 2011 GSoC Doc Camp we are proud to bring you
the 2012 GSoC Doc Camp. Like the previous event the 2012 GSoC Doc Camp is a
place for free software communities to meet, create a book for their
project, attract new people to their efforts, and share their documentation
experiences. The camp aims to improve free documentation materials and
skills in free software projects and individuals and help form the identity
of the emergent free documentation sector.

Individuals and projects can apply. Food and accommodation for all
individuals will be provided and travel support (full or partial) can also
be applied for.

Be a part of this exciting event – propose a Book Sprint on your favorite
free software or come and help others write a book on their favorite
project. Guaranteed to be a lot of fun, productive, and a fantastic place
to advance your documentation efforts and experiences.

For more information or to register to take part, please see
https://sites.google.com/site/docsprintsummitv2/.

Please note proposals are due by October 26, so get yours in ASAP!

Cheers,
Carol Smith, Allen Gunn, Adam Hyde

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 8:01 AM, Justin Deoliveira <jdeol...@opengeo.org>wrote:

> +1 on the idea.
>

> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Mike Pumphrey <m...@opengeo.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks.  By my estimate, the last time we had a true documentation push
>> was prior to the release of 2.0.0, about three years ago.  I think it may
>> be time to do another one.
>>
>> I was reminded of this recently as I found a tutorial page [1] that
>> mentioned how the www/ directory would allow you to serve even "a full
>> installation of MapBuilder".  MapBuilder, if I'm not mistaken, was retired
>> in 2008.  :)
>>
>> A trivial example, mind you, but there are still screenshots from the
>> 1.7.x series [2], documentation on extensions that no longer exist [3], and
>> other small bummers that come from a general lack of curation.
>>
>> With this in mind, is there any interest in a documentation sprint,
>> possibly hosted in the OpenGeo (NYC) office?  The goal would be to clean
>> up, update, curate, reorganize, fill gaps, and perform other tasks that
>> aren't covered by our day-to-day operation.
>>
>> We've come a long way, and I think we should be proud of what we have.
>>  That said, I think we can still strive for improvement.  Spending a little
>> bit of time directly addressing our documentation will pay dividends over
>> the long term, and make what we have easier to maintain.
>>
>> Interested?  Thoughts?
>>

>> [1] http://docs.geoserver.org/2.2.0/user/tutorials/staticfiles.html
>> [2]
>> http://docs.geoserver.org/2.2.0/user/googleearth/tutorials/time/time.html
>> [3] http://docs.geoserver.org/2.2.0/user/extensions/styler.html
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Mike Pumphrey
>> OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org

> Justin Deoliveira
> OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org
> Enterprise support for open source geospatial.

David William Bitner