On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 11:13 AM, Justin Deoliveira <jdeol...@opengeo.org>wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Andrea Aime <andrea.a...@geo-solutions.it
> > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 8:53 AM, Davide <davide.sava...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Nested layer groups could replace usage of layers WMS Path property.
>>>

>> Could is key here. If we do it, Chris already provided feedback that we
>> should also
>> consider a migration path for those that have wms path setup, like
>> recognizing
>> the path structure and build new groups out of it.
>>
>> Or we could live things as they are, which would result in some redundant
>> functionality,
>> though this might not be the end of the world: I have doubt wms path is
>> very much
>> used, but it's my perception.
>>
>> And/or... maybe someone is interested in teaming up and working on the
>> wms path
>> to layer group migration?
>>

> Yeah, my impression is that it is probably not worth the trouble. Rather
> than try to get fancy I would rather see the removal of wms path documented
> in the user guide, with clear options of how to reproduce the same
> functionality.

+1 on it not being worth the trouble. I forget what I wrote, but I think a
fine 'migration path' is just what Justin says - user documentation on how
to reproduce the functionality and maybe a blog post notifying users. I'm
not convinced that many people use it. And indeed if there's docs we just
have to point them at it when they ask on the list.