On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Andrea Aime
<andrea.a...@geo-solutions.it>wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 4:56 PM, Chris Holmes <chol...@opengeo.org> wrote:
>

>> This approach makes a lot of sense. Indeed we already have a
>> mode=download I think for KML, but might make sense to just return KMZ with
>> the embedded icons for that. Or to just not offer it and document that KMZ
>> is the download format. In GeoNode we already do have the distinction,
>> between 'view in google earth' and 'download kml'.
>>

>>> I've spent a little time trying out some ideas outside of GeoServer:
>>> https://github.com/dwins/icon-service (I'l see if I can stand up a demo
>>> later.)  The approach that I've been taking is to define the icon service
>>> as operating on styles alone (not addressing individual rules), and the
>>> client making the request includes feature attributes as needed.  So an
>>> icon url might look like:
>>>
>>> http://localhost:9090/st/poi_dynamic?cat=1
>>>
>>> If the style references a property named 'cat.'  Then I just create a
>>> feature with a point geometry at (0,0) and the attributes from the query
>>> string, remove Symbolizers other than PointSymbolizer from the style, and
>>> render it in a bbox of [-1:1,-1:1].
>>>

> I see, makes sense. Of course, you're not going to bring a Scala
> dependency into GeoServer core, are you?

Out of curiosity, why is this so bad? I mean it complies to pure java
bytecode, could just be thought of an additional library, like the xml
stuff we do. It'll interoperate on any platform, which to me was the big
downside in bringing in other languages.