I think for capabilities requests this is actually something the specs
require, that we respond with the highest version number that is less than
or equal to the specified version, and there are tests that specify the
version number 99.99.99 to test that. When implementing the dispatcher we
chose to extend this flexibility to the other operations. Although for
non-capabilities requests I think it would be ok to throw back an error
from the spec point of view to throw an exception.

I would be ok with tightening this up but wouldn't do it on a stable
branch, as it technically a contract change to all of our published
services.

$0.02

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 8:10 AM, Andrea Aime
<andrea.a...@geo-solutions.it>wrote:

> Hi,
> as you probably all know when we specify no version number in a request,
> we get back a response
> matching the highest available version:
>

> http://localhost:8080/geoserver/topp/ows?service=WFS&request=GetFeature&typeName=topp:tasmania_cities&maxFeatures=50
>
> However, what would you expect from this:
>

> http://localhost:8080/geoserver/topp/ows?service=WFS&request=GetFeature&typeName=topp:tasmania_cities&maxFeatures=50&version=10.0.0
>
> Honestly, I would have expected a service exception, but GeoServer returns
> a response in version 2.0 instead.
> Isn't this a bit too much leniency?
>
> Cheers
> Andrea