Hi Jonathan. It's a bit out of my wheelhouse, but it shouldn't be too difficult
to have the search box perform a Google Site Search or something similar. I've
found the search feature of Sphinx to be odd and lacking in a number of areas.

To use your example:

https://www.google.com/search?q=animator+site%3Adocs.geoserver.org

It's the first result.

Thanks,