Hello Simone,

Some responses to your concerns.

I agree that the term "third party" is not applicable any longer to
geofence, so I will change the text to more appropriately mention
geofence as a proper extension that can be used as alternative.

I think geofence has a lot of value as a geoserver extension because it
is much more advanced than the default security system and offers much
more flexibility, the ability to connect to LDAP,..., and on top of it
offers an easy to use GUI.

As I understand it geofence will become an integrated and supported
extension of geoserver but remains to be optional; and users will still
have the choice between the default text-based config system and the
more advanced and flexible database driven geofence system.

It appears that there is a demand from people who wish to continue use
the basic security config files but still wish to have the added basic
flexibility of combining layer and service security.

Geofence of course already has this ability, and in that sense it is
indeed a duplication of efforts, but as far as I can see we won't be in
each other's way with our future efforts if geofence remains optional
and the text-based security continues to exist. The way I see it this
remains separate. Unless your plans of integration are not completely
clear to me?

Kind Regards
Niels