Fair enough. I will say that I have to do the back port regardless for a
project but I can easily work from a branch in my own fork for now if folks
decide it’s not worth the risk.

As for mitigating the risk, your suggestions all sound good. Regarding
updating a demo server the only people I know that run a stable GeoServer
demo are Boundless and GeoSolutions. So I’ll let those devs comment on if
they want to do an upgrade. I can cut a 2.8.x build with the library
upgrades or they can grab a nightly from master. Just let me know.

As for running benchmarks is there a test suite that is readily available
and easy to set up? Depending on how much work is involved there I can
volunteer some time to put to that.

As for a milestone release from master I can also put some time toward that
as long as it’s something I can bust off in a few hours time frame. If
there is going to be more ceremony around it not sure how much time I can
devote to it at the moment.