On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 7:50 PM, Simone Giannecchini <
simone.giannecch...@geo-solutions.it> wrote:

> -1- we should account for reviews in the GSIP process, although we
> don't want that for each individual fix but for larger, new
> functionalities, yes we should.
> -2- accounting for reviews should not lead to delays for who is
> proposing the change. So there should be a fixed windows for reviews

While I agree, I also believe that no GSIP should go in without some for of
review.
While the interested parties can earmark a review, we should not allow some
strategically (or luckily) placed
GSIP pull request to just go in without any form of scrutiny.
A second pair of eyes, even if it's just a serious coworker ones, should be
applied

> So I am fine with something along what Ben proposes:
>
> - I can say I'd like to review
> - I have to do it within 1W at most, that time passed the proposer can
> hit the merge button (or someone con do it for him)

I can live with that, but with a few amendments:
- For a particularly large request the people volunteering for a review
should
  be allowed to request more time (e.g. think of the resource switch, so
large that it broke dead the github diff page)
- No GSIP related pull request ever gets in without someone reviewing it
and the proposer answering the feedback either by providing explanations,
or fixing/completing the code.
- The pull request does not go in until all feedback is addressed, for
disagreements on what should be done the question is brought to the PSC for
discussion
- A GSIP is normally committed in one shot, with all the bits required
(tests, docs). The proposer can ask the PSC for leniency in special
occasions, the PSC will decide if it's ok to allow the split/incremental
application

Cheers
Andrea

--
==
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

*AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003*

nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate. Il
loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del messaggio,
per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora riceviate questo
messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo cortesemente di
darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla distruzione del messaggio
stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema. Conservare il messaggio stesso,
divulgarlo anche in parte, distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od
utilizzarlo per finalità diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai
principi dettati dal D.Lgs. 196/2003.

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for
the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or
proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act
(Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection
Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction,
copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is
strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the
information in this message that has been received in error. The sender
does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or
completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes
made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of
e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.