Hey Torben

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong and we never quite formalized this but
here is my take/understanding. If the catalog throws an exception
deliberately then it should be responsible for leaving/restoring
modifications accordingly to the same state as before that method was
called. If that doesn't happen I would say it's a bug.

The catalog isn't however responsible for restoring any state "across
methods". For instance if adding a resource, then a layer and the layer
method throws an exception. Removing the resource would be the
responsibility of the client.

$0.02

-Justin