Thanks Devon:

That's about it. Just this raised a decent few questions and problems for
> me:
>
> - Right off the bat despite mapping my new endpoint to "/restng/styles" I
> found that it actually ended up being mapped to "/rest/restng/styles". I
> can't for the life of me figure out why that's happening. I tried removing
> the existing rest and restconfig modules from the project, removed the REST
> wrapper config and still had this issue. Maybe not a big issue in practice,
> since we want all the end points to be under /rest presumably, but it'd
> certainly be nice to know WHY this happens. Something to do with the
> AdvancedDispatchFilter maybe? (In fact after a little digging this seems to
> be the "culprit")
>
> - Conflicting Spring MVC contexts. I used the <mvc:annotation-driven/>
> directive to enable Spring MVC in my module. Then I added a new
> HttpMessageConverter (like this https://dzone.com/articles/customizing)
> to customize response handling. I could see the new converter being
> instantiated and added to the list of converters, however during the
> response cycle it was nowhere to be found. It seemed like internally there
> was another Spring context that was being used that had the default
> converters. If I remove the <mvc:annotation-driven> directive from my
> context then my new converter DOES get used though. This is interesting
> though because the only references to Spring MVC are in community.

I think the geofence-server used spring mvc - could that be providing your
conflict?
-
https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/blob/master/src/community/geofence-server/src/main/java/org/geoserver/geofence/rest/RolesRestController.java

- How should HTML responses be handled? Spring MVC RestControllers aren't
> really meant to return HTML. AFAICT the options are use the actual
> ModelAndView functionality with freemarker views, which would involve
> separate controller methods for HTML calls, or to create a new
> HttpMessageConverter to handle HTML requests. Both probably have issues.
> Creating a new MessageConverter is a little problematic, since these are
> centralized and orthogonal to the actual controllers. HTML responses in the
> current REST framework rely a lot on the type hierarchy of the RESTlet
> controller that handles the request. It's a little tougher to do it this
> way in Spring MVC because the response encoding happens outside the
> controller lifecycle.

Is there any documentation explains to look at for these two options?

My quick search found more examples of using freemarker views (and I think
we use freemarker elsewhere).

- This seems a little more straightforward, but I assume we want to re-use
> all the existing XML/JSON serialization. This will require custom
> MessageConverters for those.

Yes, we outlined that as part of the plan (it was one of the reasons we
thought this was possible).