Hi Daniele,

I made some progress:
By checking logs of geoserver, "gdal.jar" was missing in
"geoserver/WEB-INF/lib", I copied it then to it.

And yes the dynamic libs were built by swig in the gdal/swig/java/ as you
mentioned:

#ls  gdal-2.1.3/swig/java/*.dylib
libgdalconstjni.20.dylib        libgdaljni.20.dylib
libogrjni.20.dylib              libosrjni.20.dylib
libgdalconstjni.dylib           libgdaljni.dylib                libogrjni.dylib
                libosrjni.dylib

So I copied the dynamic libs to /usr/local/lib and set the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH in
both "setenv.sh" and my ~/.bash_profile

But I sill get:
21-Mar-2017 11:52:30.973 WARNING [localhost-startStop-1]
it.geosolutions.imageio.gdalframework.GDALUtilities.loadGDAL Failed to load the
GDAL native libs. This is not a problem unless you need to use the GDAL
plugins: they won't be enabled.
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no gdaljni in java.library.path

From "catalina.out" log file:
21-Mar-2017 11:35:21.773 WARNING [localhost-startStop-1]
it.geosolutions.imageio.gdalframework.GDALUtilities.loadGDAL Failed to load the
GDAL native libs. This is not a problem unless you need to use the GDAL
plugins: they won't be enabled.
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no gdaljni in java.library.path

21-Mar-2017 11:35:11.801 INFO [localhost-startStop-2]
org.geoserver.GeoserverInitStartupListener.contextDestroyed Unregistering Image
I/O provider
it.geosolutions.imageio.plugins.jp2kakadu.JP2GDALKakaduImageWriterSpi@7a22e404
21-Mar-2017 11:35:11.801 INFO [localhost-startStop-2]
org.geoserver.GeoserverInitStartupListener.contextDestroyed Unregistering Image
I/O provider
it.geosolutions.imageio.stream.output.spi.StringImageOutputStreamSpi@35038fe5

Any clues ?

Cheers,