Ian,

this sounds like the problem I see because I always build with "mvn
-nsu" to ensure that I use artifacts from my local geotools build.
Because geoscript and geogig are two snapshot dependencies that I do not
build locally, the script I use to compile community modules starts with
this:

# manually remove external snapshot dependencies
rm -rf ~/.m2/repository/org/geoscript
rm -rf ~/.m2/repository/org/locationtech/geogig

Crude, but effective.

Kind regards,
Ben.

--