Jody Garnett

Jukka Rahkonen

Kevin Smith

Torben Barsballe
Agenda

   -

   CalGIS Workshop retrospective
   -

   Better description for community modules
   -

   Chit Chat

Action items

   -

   AA: make a GSIP to get some more information out of developers asking
   for a community module
   -

   JG: follow up GSIP with actual developers guide documentation changes

Action Items from last meeting

   -

   TB/KS: release 17.1 / 2.11.1 (done)
   -

   KS: make GeoServer change proposal for GWC vulnerability (pending)
   -

   JG: FOSS4G Blog post when presentations announced (pending)

CalGIS Workshop

Intro to GeoServer workshop:

   -

   90 % were windows users
   -

   Many had not seen open source before
   -

   Around 50 people, mix of VM and Community Downloads
   -

   Installation of extensions was “why is this so technical” :)
   -

   TLDR: Windows installers are earning their keep :)

Better description for community modules

Like: text? Or how well they can be trusted?

Goal: An extensive description of what community module is for, see all the
questions around Neil's recent proposal for an example :)

Jody: Do we care if the codebase is not ready for the codebase?

   -

   Andrea: Yes we should if it plans to merge eventually

Ideas:

   -

   What the module does
   -

   Ideas about configuration/UI/whatever if applicable
   -

   Dependencies
   -

   Verify overlap with existing modules, making sure we are not duplicating
   work/effort (just a show that this was considered)
   -

   Any  plan to get it into support land anytime soon?

Previously: GeoTools used to ask for wiki page for unsupported modules;
kind of like a mini design document?

   -

   Andrea was thinking more high level…

Thoughts:

   -

   Jody - wanted something lightweight to help onboard new committees
   -

      Andrea - that is not working :P
      -

   We can supply a sample email, that shows covering the above topics
   -

      Wiki page or developers guide
      -

http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/developer/policies/community-modules.html
         -

   GSIP or PR?
   -

      Action (Andrea/Simone) to make a GSIP to define the above list.
      -

      Action (Jody) PR to update the developers guide.

Chit Chat

For Ben - Urls vs URLs

   -

   Jody - URLs ← follow our coding conventions
   -

      Can we resolve this now or let ben suffer on the email
      -

      http://docs.geotools.org/latest/developer/conventions/name.html
      -

      http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/codeconventions-135099.html
      -

         Try to keep your class names simple and descriptive. Use whole
         words-avoid acronyms and abbreviations (unless the
abbreviation is much
         more widely used than the long form, such as URL or HTML).
         -

   This is a follow on from another bug, trying to fix the code once

CalGIS Code sprint focused on geotools:

   -

   Adding parameter descriptions to functions
   -

      copy from geoserver user guide, to geotools data structure
      -

      See pictures http://www.osgeo.org/node/1791

Bug stomp?

   -

   Andrea and Torben got a lot done
   -

      If it takes a couple hours, move on it is too big :)
      -

   There are a number of pull requests awaiting review

Marlin:

   -

   Can we upload new version?
   -

https://github.com/bourgesl/marlin-renderer/releases/download/v0.7.5_2/marlin-0.7.5-Unsafe.jar
   -

   Uploaded:
   https://repo.boundlessgeo.com/main/org/marlin/marlin/0.7.5-Unsafe/

JAI-EXT

   -

   Getting close to be used for default
   -

   GeoSolutions has a number of production servers, Boundless includes
   JAI-EXT for our customers

Technical Debt JAI replacement: update?

   -

   OSGeo Live has started collaboration with Debian; who is very much
   against sun binary license used by JAI. GeoServer may not be included in
   subsequent OSGeo Live distributions. Talk to Ben for details?
   -

   LocationTech is also keen to get the Raster Processing Engine project
   started
   -

   See wiki for plan https://github.com/geotools/geotools/wiki/Replace-JAI

Technical Debt XML Parsing:

   -

   For Schema we considered EMF and Xerces
   -

      Technically this is XSD (which is an EMF representation of schema)
      -

      We have problems with memory leaks here
      -

      Xerces offered the other stable representation of Schema
      -

   JAXB - http://www.ogcnetwork.net/jaxb4ogc
   -

      Able to generate java beans as static Java Beans
      -

      We need to generate the parser bindings by hand
      -

   EMF - did its own beans (called EObject), also able to model collection
   contents
   -

      Very strict on use of factories, etc…
      -

      The tech stack here is ECORE and GenModel, not JavaBeans
      -

      Justin did ‘reflection’ to auto generate the parser bindings
      -

   GML representation - has two uses
   -

      Extended by others, example WMTS
      -

      Used dynamically for parsing features
      -

   What would we need to go forward?

   -

   Use JAXB to generate out remaining models, or reuse from the
   jaxb-for-ogc, parsers, encoders.
   -

      How can we extend for vendor options? Extend beans, parsers, encoders…
      -

      OGC Filter needs to be parsed into our own data structure?
      -

   Then for features; GTXML already uses our own models

XML Why so many?

   -

   Because the old/optimized/easier ones were always faster than the new
   generic ones… we also did not get a chance to remove old ones due to
   sections that have not migrated
   -

   Example GML Transformers for speed
   -

   Have a look at what deegree has done with their multiple rewrites …

New CITE Build server:

   -

   Apollo - should be ready to share, stuck on a H2 test failure
   -

      See geotools-devel “H2DataStoreFactoryTest Failure” for discussion ←
      HELP
      - Goal is to have this up “for May” to allow cite team to start work