I kind of disagree with trying to generalize the parameters now… if another
format comes along and adds a similar capability will it really have the
exact same options with the exact same semantics? I am kind of doubtful.

Unless there is a strong consensus that this has to happen I’m inclined to
leave the options as is and KML specific until there is a more concrete
need to coalesce them.