Hello again,

Well forget my previous post: Geoserver 2.12.0 with gdal v2.2.2 imageio 1.1.18
works correctly on my Mac.

My fault and Torben you were correct: bad data!
I tried to import the wrong files from our NAS Discs with a very long path
indeed:
The directory contained ".ras" files instead of ENVI "*.hdr" files ! My bad!!

Well, sorry for all the trouble....it shouldn't happen again ;-)

Cheers,

Gilles