I have also enabled basic branch protection on all GeoTools release branches (same as master). This prevents force pushes and deletion of these branches.

Yes, this should be part of our RC-release-create-new-stable-branch procedure for GeoTools and GeoServer. Branching is still a manual step so this will be as well. For example:
http://docs.geotools.org/latest/developer/procedures/release.html#if-you-are-cutting-the-first-rc-of-a-series-create-the-stable-branch

Any objections?

Kind regards,
Ben.