> Bad news is FileSystemWatcher is killing the machine. For each instance it
> gets one thread eating 100% of one CPU all the time. Reported this before,
> just sharing my pain.
>
> Been looking at replacing the internals of FileSystemWatcher to use
> java.nio.file.WatchService, and although at a first glance it looks pretty
> straightforward, it's not gonna be that simple.

Darn, that was the point of making the interface (since we could not use
WatchService on Java 7 yet).

> There are a number of situations where it just won't work, basically when
> the data dir is on any sort of mapped filesystem (NFS, SAMBA, Docker bind
> mounts), for which the Linux implementation doesn't work as it relies on
> inotify.
>
> The MacOS implementation is a polling one, but it's gonna be better than
> the current custom one anyways. And for Windows, I don't know yet.

Still this was only supposed to be used for a few files like the security
settings which require active notification? If a watcher is being setup
beyond that ... is it a mistake?

In any case it's clear that anyone that has a large catalog will most
> probably have it on a shared filesystem to be used by several instances.
> So this might require a GSIP, which I'm willing to start, in order to
> tackle on the different scenarios, as it can get even more involved as
> above described.

Before you go that far can we talk about how FileSystemWatcher is being
used...

--
Jody