Hi Gabriel,
I would love to see having a limit on the method length... but remember
when running these QAs you're pretty much alone
(as I've been for most of the QA work, even when other people participated,
I ended up doing well over 90% of the job).

I would suggest you start with a very high limit, get it fixed, and then
you have a limit that PMD can apply, even if stupidly high.
Then it can go down little by little, until you exhaust the time you want
to dedicate on it.

These days I won't be able to do much, with full lockdown in place and kids
at home, it's a lot if I can run some cleanups
where IntelliJ does most of the work for me :-D (which is, what I've been
doing for the past month or two).

Cheers
Andrea

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 3:13 PM Gabriel Roldan <gabriel.rol...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey all,
> sorry for cross-posting but this relates to both projects.
>
> One of the PMD rules I'd like to set up the most is ExcessiveMEthodLength.
> It'll just fail on a threshold for lines of code in a single method.
>
> I've made some assessments for 500 and 100 lines of code limits, check
> this out:
>
> GeoTools:
>
> https://github.com/groldan/geoserver/wiki/ExcessiveMethodLength-PMD-assessment---GeoTools
>
> GeoServer:
> https://github.com/groldan/geoserver/wiki/ExcessiveMethodLength-PMD-assessment---GeoServer
>
> I think avoiding too large methods is important for maintainability and to
> lower the barrier entry to the project for other people, because trying to
> keep methods concise forces you to think of the design and to split them
> into smaller methods. Ideally, a single method would be succinct and easy
> to read, for anyone to be able to figure out what it does at a given level
> of abstraction, and having to drill down to a lower level of abstraction
> method only if necessary.
>
> I myself often feel overwhelmed when facing such methods, despite having
> so many years of experience on the codebase, it's discouraging. So maybe we
> could do something at least in identifying the most relevant ones and
> trying to make them cleaner.
> Of course some of them would not be a problem cause they're just, either
> generated or not, linear setups of state, like
> org.geotools.gml3.GMLSchema:GMLSchema(), which is 978 lines long. But
> mostly there's a lot of code that would benefit from a second round of
> thinking.
>
> As an example, I tried to tidy
> up org.geotools.coverage.processing.operation.Resampler2D:reproject(...),
> which is currently 618 lines long, and made it 49. Most important thing I
> think is it now reads as intended, instead of having to have so many
> comments explaining what the following hundred lines of code do.
>
> This is the original:
>

> https://github.com/geotools/geotools/blob/64e0026c62cf37662194b92e8052594d57ef826e/modules/library/coverage/src/main/java/org/geotools/coverage/processing/operation/Resampler2D.java#L245-L863
>
> And this the refactored:
>

> https://github.com/groldan/geotools/blob/d25f6424f8f4188824c840f400c3414a9ce12531/modules/library/coverage/src/main/java/org/geotools/coverage/processing/operation/Resampler2D.java#L302-L351
>
> Not saying it's perfect, that shared catch-all state class is debatable,
> but I can certainly get an idea of what the method does at a glimpse and
> follow through if needed.
>
> I know it's something that'd require quite significant and lacking
> resources, but also think it's worth pursuing. Probably a first round to
> set a soft limit of 200 lines long or so, with a longer term goal of 100?
>
> Looking forward to your comments,
> Cheers.
>
> --
> [...]

Regards, Andrea Aime

== GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit
http://goo.gl/it488V for more information. == Ing. Andrea Aime @geowolf
Technical Lead GeoSolutions S.A.S. Via di Montramito 3/A 55054 Massarosa
(LU) phone: +39 0584 962313 fax: +39 0584 1660272 mob: +39 339 8844549
http://www.geo-solutions.it http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it
------------------------------------------------------- *Con riferimento
alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE 2016/679 -
Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa che ogni
circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto, gli eventuali
allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è riservata al/i solo/i
destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per
errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita. Le
sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia. This email is intended
information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679
“GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information
herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by
telephone or e-mail.*