Hi,

I tried out the new Windows installer with an option "Install as a service
(recommended)", into a non-default port 8090.
Good news is that installer runs OK.
Bad news is that the service does not start. The startService.bat runs command
"net start GeoServer" but my Windows gives an error "The service name is
invalid (NET HELPMSG 2185)". However, I made the test with my work computer and
it may be that even my localpower rights do not allow me to install services.

I was investigating what the installer installs and I believe that the service
could be installed manually from the \wrapper directory with command
geoserver -install jsl64.ini

On my work computer that command throws an error message that begins
"FormattingCreateService failed - The name of the user account is invalid"

The installer worked for me with the manual start option. However, the
installer does not edit the Jetty http port in the start.ini file and Geoserver
starts at the default port 8080. Therefore the port configuration screen does
not have any effect when user selects this alternative. The selected port is
correctly written into the jsl64.ini file when the install as a service option
is used.

-Jukka Rahkonen-