Howdy folks,

First off amazing job on the project, great to see GeoServer thriving and
be such a robust and stable tool, kudos to all of the core developers for
their hard work.

I have a question about a change that I am seeing after upgrading a
Geoserver instance from a 2.18.x to the latest stable 2.20.x, with regards
to layer abstracts in the WMS capabilities document. I wanted to check here
whether it's considered a bug or not before I file a ticket, or work on a
patch. The issue in question I believe traces back to the recent work done
to allow for i18n of the capabilities document:

- Pre-change, when a layer had no abstract the element would show up as
empty in the capabilities document.
- Post-change, the abstract gets a default value of "Layer-Group type
layer: <layerName>"

I guess my ultimate question is whether this is desirable behavior? I am
thinking an abstract referencing "Layer-Group" in the cases where it's not
a layer group is perhaps an oversight.

The bigger question is whether it's desirable to have a fallback value at
all. In the case of the project I am working on there is an application
that displays those abstracts to the user, which after the upgrade started
to get a bit confusing with all of the default abstracts in there. I
imagine there are GIS clients and web applications powered by GeoServer
that do the same, which is why I wanted to ask.

Thanks GeoServer crew!

Justin