Jukka:

I think I added some examples to the user manual on how to do this. I do
wish we could figure out your RHEL challenge - perhaps with wider release
another user will encounter the problem and we can learn more.

Here is the example
https://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/configuration/logging.html#forcing-geoserver-to-relinquish-log4j-control

-DRELINQUISH_LOG4J_CONTROL=true
-Dlog4j2.configurationFile=logging_configuration.xml

When used in this fashion it will use the location defined in the
logging_configuration - or even no log file at all just console out. An
example of which is further down the page.

Jody

On Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 2:31 AM Rahkonen Jukka <
jukka.rahko...@maanmittauslaitos.fi> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> We have not been able to make our GeoServer 2.22 to write log into a file
> https://osgeo-org.atlassian.net/browse/GEOS-10744. Our developer wants to
> get help with a workaround and write:
>

> “We haven’t been able to figure out the logging problem with 2.22-RC on
> our RHEL servers. Different tomcat and java version combinations have been
> tested among other configurations.
>
> We are now searching for a way to work around the problem. Is it possible
> to disable normal geoserver logging and get the same output to catalina.log
> or a separate named log file in /tomcat/logs using RELINQUISH_LOG4J_CONTROL
> or other options. Can you describe what are the required configurations of
> a setup like this.”
>

> -Jukka Rahkonen-

Jody Garnett